Historical Sketch of the Parry Manufacturing Company

The Parry Manufacturing Company began its business of buggy making in 1882 in Rushville, Rush County, as the C Spring Cart Company. Owners of the operation were David M. Parry and his brother Thomas H. Parry. The factory was destroyed by fire in1884 and the Parry brothers relocated to Indianapolis two years later forming a joint stock company with David Parry as president.

In the early 1890s Parry began experimenting with motorized vehicles. In 1900 Parry Manufacturing Company erected their new factory on 54 acres along the White River on South Street west of downtown Indianapolis and made the claim of being the largest carriage factory in the world. In 1906 David Parry acquired the Overland Company, a producer of automobiles from Terre Haute.

Parry was hit hard by a short economic depression in 1907 and was never able to produce an automobile and had to sell the business to John N. Willys in 1908. Willys renamed it the Willys-Overland Company and moved it to Ohio where it eventually became known for the manufacturing of the Jeep.

Parry quickly recovered from its financial losses and began manufacturing automobiles in 1909 under the name of the Parry Automobile Company.The company produced the Parry in 1909 and the New Parry in 1910. In 1911 the company name was changed to Motor Car Manufacturing Company and began producing the Pathfinder which achieved a certain amount of notoriety for its larger touring cars.

In September, 1917, the company declared bankruptcy. In the meantime, the Parry Manufacturing Company was producing universal commercial bodies and truck bodies until 1919 when it merged with the Martin Truck and Body Corporation of York,Pennsylvania. The Indianapolis facility continued manufacturing truck and auto bodies under the name of the Martin–Parry Corporation until 1930 when the plant was sold to the Chevrolet Motor Company.